Friday, December 7, 2012

# 9 from India

Friday, 12/7

I am going to interrupt my journalling here for a few days because I am now engaged in a short four day course, and I won't have the time to report as I have up to now.  I'm taking an intensive beginners course in hatha yoga, Amma style.  I know my daughter will be delighted.

I am taking this course because I want to have a spiritually focused practice involving the body, and I can already tell after just the first session that this will be helpful for how I teach the Prayer of the Lamb.  The Prayer of the Lamb is of the tradition of the Prayer of the Heart and is meant to connect with the body, to move attention from the head and thoughts into the heart, to increase awareness of the body.  The way Amma defines hatha yogo is awareness in every action.  The intentional practice of the asanas is meant as a foundation so that the same awareness is there in every action.  The intention of the sitting meditation with the Prayer of the Lamb is likewise to end up with the same awareness al the time.  So we prayer the Prayer even while in the midst of daily routine activities.  The awareness grows outside the sitting practice into the midst of the mundane, until it becomes praying without ceasing.

The course goes through Monday.  See you after that.

And keep meditating!

No comments: