Sunday, December 2, 2012

#3 from India

This one will probably be shorter as I am limited on how much time I can use in one sitting here in the ashram so that others can use the computers too.

Recycling Seva

I really have had a repugnance about litter and handling others' garbage.  I really did not want to do this sort of thing, and I had a fear that if I let Amma work in my life with my various personal issues in heed of healing and transformation as a channel of God's grace, the process of sanctification or purification, then Amma would have me dealing with garbage, dealing with what repulses me.  After all, what you resist persists, as I have told others before.  So naturally I could expect to have to face this.  This would be my version of Francis and the leper.

So, of course, the first thing we are offered for a seva is what has repulsed me, but also with a choice for the safer job of veggie chopping.  I talked Clarice into the recycle seva without any resistance on her part. So a little bit later I walked to the new beach area where the new recycle center is.  The moment I arrived I felt a tremendous draw to the area - the open, breezy, sandy stretch to the breakwater, the waves pounding on the huge rocks of the beachhead, the shade from the palm and pine trees, and the benches all facing the sea.  I sat down and just absorbed the peace and simple, natural beauty.

Story to continue...

No comments: