Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Agnus Dei Vol 1:1 Lent 2002 First Newsletter

From The Ladder of Paradise, John Climacus, c. 580-650, abbot of the convent of Saint Catherine, Mount Sinai:
May the name of Jesus be united with your breath; then you will understand the value of solitude (Step 27).

Sharing with others about the Prayer of the Lamb is a tremendously satisfying form of offering ministry. The more I study in preparation for various presentations and seminars, the more I myself learn about the depth and range of this simple, easily accessible prayer. The above quotation from the writings of John Climacus is but one indication of the long spiritual tradition from which the Prayer of the Lamb has come. To pass on the wisdom and power of this prayer discipline to others is a joyful service, especially when I receive comments such as the following from a participant in one of the presentations: “Your prayer session with us re-confirmed in me how we are Eucharist and that intercessory prayer does effect all reality.… And the prayer for mercy helped clarify to me why prayer is so effective--because we… let God do the work.” (Karen 11/15/01)

Indeed it is helpful to continue in regular practice of the Prayer of the Lamb, both as the place to put our attention during formal mediation and in practice of the prayer in the midst of daily activities, because this is a way that has been provided for us for perceiving the revelation that it is not our prayers that are effective, but God who is effective. It can seem to take a long while for us to notice this revelation, and when we do, we discover new freedom and expansiveness in the practice of this prayer discipline. When we sit as a community praying in silence this prayer, we become channels through which God works, and we become places where intercession is occurring.

For this ministry of intercession for the world, consider the example of one who practiced the prayer of the heart, St. Seraphim of Sarov [born July 19, 1759, Kursk, Russia – d. January 2, 1833].

"… For each who asked, he prayed and lit a candle, so that his cell now always shone with candlelight. Asked why he burned so many candles, he said: “They bring me oil and candles, and ask me to pray for them. When I read my office, I remember them at the First Hour, each individually. But since I cannot complete my rule of prayer if I repeat the names of each at every appropriate time, I set all these candles for them as an offering to God…And when the time comes in the service to remember them, I say: ‘Oh, Lord, remember all these people, the work of Thy hands, for whose souls I, lowly that I am, have lit unto Thee these candles.’” For each and for all he offered himself as a living prayer."
[Constantine Cararnos and Mary-Barbara Zeldin, St. Seraphim of Sarov, Modern Orthodox Saints, Vol. 5, Institute for Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies, Massachusetts, c. 1980, pages 78-79]

So also can we continually offer our intercessions for all those for whom our prayers are asked as we recite inwardly the Prayer of the Lamb, an interior candle, throughout the day. This is the devotion of faith, trusting in the abundance of God’s mercy and love.

Please note the summary of presentations that have been given in the last six months. As I look at the full schedule through Lent and Easter, it would appear that the Prayer of the Lamb is being received as a needed and desired prayer practice. May I suggest ways in which you can support this ministry.
1. Personally participate in the shared practice of the Prayer of the Lamb.
2. Arrange for an introductory seminar and 12 week Community of the Lamb course in your congregation.
3. Pray for and give financial support to the Community of the Lamb Prayer Ministry.

All peace and joy to you in Jesus, the Lamb of God.

The Rev. Beverly Hosea

No comments: