Monday, May 10, 2010

Expansion of Prison Ministry and Need for Volunteer Instructors

The opportunity has been extended to the Community of the Lamb to expand the meditation instruction being offered at the Monroe Correctional Complex beyond the Twin Rivers Unit to two other units in the prison. I have been in conversation with the Catholic chaplain about what it would take to do this, and she has done some research on grant possibilities for funding meditation instruction in prisons. This is an exciting development that needs to be shared with others, because it is not something I can continue to do by myself.

At this stage I am asking those of you who have an established practice with the Prayer of the Lamb to consider a process of discernment about whether you might be called to this form of outreach ministry. Are you being called by the Resurrection Spirit of Yeshua to assist in leading meditation sessions with convicted men incarcerated in the state prison in Monroe?

This is not a casual ministry. Those drawn by our Lord to this work must be committed to taking part in a very specific training process, be willing to work in partnership with others, and commit to offering service for a two year time commitment.

You will receive clear and exact instruction on how to present the Prayer of the Lamb and how to conduct a meditation session with a partner, as well as taking part in the prison’s volunteer orientation program. Once screened and authorized by the state prison system to enter the Monroe Correctional Complex as a volunteer, you will come with me and act as an assistant during a state required probationary period.

While the setting and the commitment needed may seem daunting, the joy and excitement of this kind of ministry is extraordinary. I always find it fascinating, engaging, humbling and encouraging working with men from very different life experiences and brokenness who are making attempts at bettering their personal condition or seeking God or peace or who simple know that something has to change for them. To be with them in this work has provided me with some very rewarding moments, and I am always thankful that I have been given the privilege of ministry in the prison.

The offenders who take part in the meditation program report that this is the one time during the week when they can get away from the noise that is constantly around them, when they can finally sit down and not have to be on guard, and when they can find some inner peace. Some are overtly Christian, and others have no church background, but all are willing, as far as they are able, to offer the Prayer of the Lamb for themselves and even for others.

As I have always said, I never would have chosen to be engaged in this kind ministry myself, if it had not been for circumstances and the Holy Spirit pushing me into it. But now that I am there, I am so glad I didn’t say no. Would you pray about this for yourself?

For engaging into discernment about a call to this prison outreach ministry, talk directly with Beverly at 206-713-5321.

No comments: