Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Jane's Testimony

The following is a brief reflection written by Jane Gray York, president of the board of directors for the Community of the Lamb. The words she has to say about a faith response to the global economic conditions are neither naive nor glib, but words out of her direct experience and the wisdom that has come to her through faith. Jane has the life credentials to speak to us all these challenging and encouraging words.

Philippians 4:6-7
Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

During this time of recession in our country and our world where we don’t know what is coming next, it is more important than ever to turn to Jesus, who is the one we can depend upon to care for us. I am a person who likes things in order. I like to know what will happen, look ahead, make plans and have them work out.

But life isn’t like that. The Holy Spirit frequently changes the lesson plans to teach flexibility and to trust in the Lord one day at a time. I have found that by praying the Prayer of the Lamb each day I have let go of the need to control my circumstances, to live each day fully one day at a time, and to cease “futurizing.” If I am worrying about the future, I am not living today. I’m not staying in the moment. This prayer has helped me to adjust to big changes in my life when the tendency is to try to hang onto the familiar.
I’m 77 years old, my husband has dementia, our retirement nest egg has been lost to the stock market, and I am asking the Lord for direction as to how I can earn money at home. However these events do not determine how to respond to the events. The way in which I respond to these events will direct and influence the events more than the events themselves.

Because prayer, scripture and giving to others has been a larger part of my life, of my abiding in Him and His abiding in me, I am learning to live trusting that the Lord will provide what we need when we need it. Prayer helps me to let go, and to keep the garden of my heart weeded and fed each day with love, peace, joy, and hope so I can live each day with energy and gratitude.

Philippians 4:19-20
And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. To our God be glory for ever and ever. AMEN.

Jane Gray York

No comments: